Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Connectivism: Learning Through Networks


Note: Each node in my mind map that has an arrow after the name is a direct Internet link.

My network has changed the way I learn by increasing the number of readily available resources I have access to anytime; including the social networking sites and other digital tools I use. It is not just my local colleagues I make connections with now, but professionals from around the world, constructing networks to obtain and share knowledge.

The digital tools that best facilitate learning for me are the six “key” (using a key graphic on my mind map) networks, which include: Professional Learning Networks, People, Personal Learning Networks, Blogs, Social Networking Sites, and Other Digital Tools. Each network plays a significant role in my learning; not all at the same time, however, all equally important depending on the knowledge I need to obtain.

I learn new knowledge when I have questions by inquiring among the key area, professional learning networks, I participate in that are listed on my mind map. Each individual network is composed of a wealth of knowledge and expertise in an area of interest and need for me. My connections continue to grow, creating new networks.

2 comments:

  1. LeAnn
    Nice mind map! Your mind map is about the fouth or fifth on to which I took a peek. I find it interesting that everyone has a different map (but of course) yet there are some similarities. But maybe those similarities are due to what type of technologies are currently available.

    As you said, your connections continue to grow, and you continue to create new ones. It would be interesting if we all did this exercise again in three years. So what would it look like then?

    Koh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent map LeAnn.

    Your post reminded me of a very good point I forgot to add in my comment back to you on my post which is personal network. Apart from technology, I believe our connection with people of similar interests, involvement in social gatherings and just mare interactions with people are one of the core forms to which we build on what we have learned or learn new things.

    ReplyDelete